Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

NEED HELP!! | Make workflow dynamic | Update values based on month/quarter of the year.

RajatK
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am new to Alteryx and need some help with my project. Listing the scenario and details below: 

The data looks something like this (also, attaching the file here): 

RajatK_0-1631130567388.png

Calculations or checks are made based on the quarter of the year/month of the year, as below:

RajatK_1-1631130567395.png

As shown above, the check 1 comprises ~> if K2<= Sum of Apr-21, May-21 and Jun-21. In the next quarter, it would be changed/updated to check of ~> L2<= summation of Jul-21, Aug-21 and Sep-21. 

{L2 is currently empty/blank since, no we haven't reached the end of the quarter yet). 

This can easily be done in Excel, however, since I'm new to Alteryx, could you please suggest a way on how I could do this dynamically. For now, I've used a Formula Tool and hard-coded the values.

Attaching the data and the client's fiscal year calendar for your reference. 

Kindly help me with the solution and a humble request to attach the package/workflow, so I could get a clarity on how to go about it. 

Thank you in advance!!  

@atcodedog05 , @VictorLeonis , @john_watkins , @ncrlelia please help!!

4 REPLIES 4
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @RajatK 

Attached is a workflow that I think accomplishes a lot of what you are looking for. I recommend getting comfortable with the Transpose and Cross Tab tools for something like this. They allow you to pivot your data to make period comparisons much easier. I wasn't exactly sure where the check formula would go for Q2 but here is what my result currently looks like:  

phottovy_0-1631135803599.png

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @RajatK,

Please see attached my suggested solution.

ncrlelia_0-1631156609455.png

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Lelia

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I keep seeing a recurring thing here in the community where data sets are used while in an "Excel" column format.  Often the answer is much easier when you convert to a row/database format for your data.  Create a field that is useful as either Q1, Q2, etc. or YYYY-Qx format and sum that way grouping on your new field or doing a calc or however you wish to tackle it.

ToString(Ceil(ToNumber(DateTimeFormat([Date],'%m'))/3))

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @RajatK 

If you've already started on a solution and have a partial workflow, please include it as well as your sample data.  Most of the time it's easier to fix an existing workflow than create a new one.

Dan

Labels