Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

NAICS Code Tree anyone?

Dan_Z
7 - Meteor

Hi! I'm building an app that filters the dataset on NAICS code. The calgary input for DNB Analytical has this tree embedded (below screenshot) - does anyone out there have the XML or another format that I could use to put something just like this in an interface tree that updates my filter? Thanks!

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

In the help article for the Tree tool, there is some information on using a Custom XML Tree Data source, and the format that Alteryx expects in order to configure this.

You can point directly to your custom XML file right inside the tool.

Hope this helps!

Dan_Z
7 - Meteor

Let's say that I have no idea how to write an XML file...has anyone out there already written one for this list that they'd be willing to share?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

That's a little bit of a different question :)

I did some really quick googling and was able to easily find a copy of the 2012 NAICS Structure in a downloadable Excel file here: https://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/reference_files_tools/2012/2012_NAICS_Structure.xls

A quick peek at that file showed that it was pretty much usable for Alteryx - if we removed two header rows from the file.

I've attached a packaged app with a tree configured using this file to hopefully give you an idea of how to set this up if you have similar data.

Note that right now this "app" is really just a tree tool that is configured to work pretty close to what you expect.  Based on your data set there are probably additional changes you might need to make, for instance in the file I found there is a superscript "T" character at the end of many names, and this is coming across in the tree, so might need to be cleaned up.

Dan_Z
7 - Meteor

Thanks! This did it

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

I have the same question, but I dont know how to use your attached file. How do i use that in Designer?

THanks

Labels