Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

My whitespace delimiter

lynettejackson
7 - Meteor

My whitespace is the delimiter, as you can see from your input. I'd like to divide the columns into two.

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you attach the input file

Research and Development US Indianapolis Cost centers scc edits1.xlsx

lynettejackson
7 - Meteor

Hi Chris,

I have attached the input file.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Your original post only includes the YXMD file, which does not include the XLSX file.  And your second post does not contain an attachment.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Hi - your datasource wasn't included with your file - perhaps if you could post some sample entries to the thread?

as a quick note - if you are trying to split a column into two with a varying amount of whitespace as a delimiter you can use regex tool in parse mode with:

(.*)\s{2,}(.*)

This assumes that the whitespace occurs more than twice at the break (to signify that it isn't standard spacing between word) and that you are looking for two columns at the end.

lynettejackson
7 - Meteor

Sorry Chris,  I thought I attached the .xls file.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

(\d+\w+\d+)\s(.*)

In regex tool parse mode.

update - this one works better.

(\d{3}[0987654321a-zA-Z]+)\s(.*)

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @lynettejackson 

I'm assuming you want to split the Cost Centers field into two columns. You can accomplish this several ways, but the simplest way is to use a Cleanse and Text to Columns tool. 

Workflow:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1618925140540.png

Cleanse Tool config:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1618925160793.png

Text to Columns config:

Maskell_Rascal_2-1618925180961.png

Output:

Maskell_Rascal_3-1618925194491.png

If this solves your issue please mark answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

One more - if you want the non-conforming entries in their own column you can grab them with:

(\d{3}[0987654321a-zA-Z]+)\s(.*)|[\*](.*)

I had thought they might be part of a multi-row header or other signifier but you can take them into a regexout3. you can change column names as you in the bottom part of the parse tool.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

The easiest way, without RegEx, is:

1) Use a formula tool to remove leading spaces:   Update the value in your [Cost centers] field:   formula = trim([Cost centers])

2) Use a Text to Columns tool, 2 columns, delimiter = space, extra characters = Leave extra in last column

Screenshot 2021-04-20 083106.jpg

Chris

Labels