Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

My tool containers keep straying off my screen. How do I get them back?

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

I like the idea of tool containers, but I don't understand how to resize them. The padding margins are massive, I'd like to make them much smaller.

Also, when working near the top of the designer canvas, tool container often stray too high, see pic. I can't grab these boxes to bring them back onto the canvas, because the only grabbable toolbar is off the top of my canvas. How can I bring these tool containers back into play I wonder?

alt4.PNG

alt5.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

There is a margins option (None or SMALL) that you can set.  I always do.

CTRL+A to select ALL

If you select all, then you can move the workflow down and avoid your straying containers.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You cannot resize Tool Containers. Their size changes depending on the tools inside of them. You can only adjust the margins in the Tool Container configuration.

When the header of a Tool Container goes off the module screen, you can still click+drag highlight (or use CTRL+A) the tool container and move it down using the arrow keys.

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

Thanks. The only way I can select the container is to click on its titlebar. Clicking anywhere else on it doesn't seem to select the container.

Select all and cursors is an acceptable workaround, but it would be preferable if tool containers wouldn't push themselves off the canvas, particularly when working with a horizontal canvas. Thanks for the prompt tips

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I agree!  When I am at inspire, I will bring that up with Marc Hafner.  I'd also suggest that you open up an idea and make that suggestion for improvements.

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Sometimes the top of my tool containers drift out of view also. I use Ctrl+0 to zoom all the way out of my workflow. Then I can select the tool container and move it where I want it and use Ctrl++ (plus key) to zoom back in.

@thizviz
Labels