Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

My simple macros to avoid workflow errors when no records are present.

iCFO
9 - Comet

I made a simple macro custom tool combo that I call "Downstream Dummy" and "Downstream Dummy Block" that I wanted to offer up for anyone that found them useful. All they do is dynamically place "dummy" values without changing data types when no records are present (and then allow the user to block all dummy values downstream where it is appropriate). These tools automatically bypass when records are present so that the workflow functions as normal. This error is typically an issue with Transpose and Cross Tab for me. These macros save me time and drastically reduce tool clutter vs constantly creating text inputs, count tools, appends, formulas, unions, filters, etc...

I am not sure how much of an issue this is for users that mostly do "one off" analysis workflows... I mostly use Alteryx to build dynamic accounting and financial management reporting automations, and I often find myself needing this a dozen or more times in a workflow.  It reduced clutter by over a hundred tools on my current project, and is visually much more descriptive than a tool combo.

Feel free to recommend any ideas for improvement. I just built & tested it, so I will likely tweak it moving forward. Just wanted to give back to the community a bit in case others find the concept useful as well. I also added a "check box" toggle on the tool so that you can easily see what it is doing.

Downstream DummyDownstream Dummy

Downstream Dummy BlockDownstream Dummy Block

2 REPLIES 2
iCFO
9 - Comet

Just marking this as solved, since it was offering a solution instead of asking a question...

iCFO
9 - Comet

I had attached an older "test version" to the original post by accident. This one will not throw an append warning when a larger number of records are present. Unfortunately it isn't allowing me to edit or delete earlier posts...

Labels