Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

My iterator macro keeps adding columns in join or append,

mithily
8 - Asteroid

A simple iterator macro that looksup alphabets and returns a number from 1-26. However it keeps adding columns to the output.

I feed in 

A
B
C

and  want to see

A 1

B 2

C 3 

in two columns however I get many many columns.

I am attaching macro and workflow,

Please help me move past this

7 REPLIES 7
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @mithily , I have fixed the issue now the result looks like this

grazitti_sapna_0-1599807446788.png

This is how I resolved it.You were filtering on the basis where iterator>=26 so that is why it was running in the loop multiple times. I have changed it to iterator<=26 and applied a select tool to deselect the iterator field to get the desired result.

grazitti_sapna_1-1599807468186.png

Therefore it is working fine now.I hope it helped.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
mithily
8 - Asteroid

@grazitti_sapna Sapna thank you, it is working but I thought since I am looking at 26 in the list, I have to run the lookup 26 times, Why is the condition <=26? I thought the iterator ends when it is false and the true is the output we should look at.

Can you explain it further. I really appreciate you help and did not expect such a quick reply?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @mithily , the value of your iterator is 1 therefor if you use the condition iterator>=26 it will always output your result in false condition therefore running the iterations for 26 times whereas if you use this condition that is iterator<=26 it will always be true. Hence no iteration will be run.

Let me illustrate it with an example when using condition iterator >=26 the result will be

grazitti_sapna_0-1599810866863.png

grazitti_sapna_2-1599810950353.png

When you run the macro with condition iterator<=26

grazitti_sapna_3-1599811014805.png

grazitti_sapna_4-1599811025571.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @mithily,

I don't really understand the point of this as a macro.

Even the working version that @grazitti_sapna has provided you with doesn't really iterate as it doesn't need to.

You've effectively got a single join within an iterative macro that will never need to loop more than once.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,

Ben

mithily
8 - Asteroid

@Ben_H  you are correct, I did not need an iterative macro. I am trying to understand how to create iterative macros and struggling to come up with a small real world case to use iterative macro. If you have a small real world example, please share it with me so I can learn. 

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

HI @mithily 

Some of the weekly challenges are a good way into iterative macros.

Here are a couple of examples -

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-135-Locker-Problem/td-p/307345

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-12-Creating-an-HR-Hierarchy/td-p/36740

The good thing here is that you have a set challenge, with the solution you are aiming for. If you get stuck you can also have a look at other users solutions to get an idea of how they work.

There is a good iterative macro problem that I think is one of the questions on the Core accreditation (maybe?) It gives you a list of airports arrivals and departures. Your job is to chain them together to work out what the nth leg of the journey is.

Regards,

Ben

mithily
8 - Asteroid

@Ben_H  ty, very much, I will look through those examples and learn it, I apprecaite you pointing me to the correct challenge.

Labels