Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

My data changes from string to number occasionally and have to manually change it

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a formula in my workflow that changes from number to string (i believe), this happens when in my "mobility" column does not contain any data. In this case I have to remove the IsNumber() formula from the expression editor and when there is data I have to put it back in. Is there a way to automate this?

See below for example:

JonaV_0-1590703547270.png

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @JonaV 

Insert a Select Tool to hardcode your data type before using the Formula Tool. In that case you should hardcode an Int Type from what I understand.

That should work.

Cheers,

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jona,

I meet the same issue when I input excel file when one or more expected numerical contains an empty or null value in the original excel file. What I am adjustment is to use a selection tool to hardcode if only one or two-column needs to change or use multiple file tools. It has an option to change the data type of multiple fields or dynamic fields. Or you can use tonumber in expression to change the field data type.

Hope this will be helpful!

Thanks,

Arc

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hi @JonaV ,

1)You can try converting the datatype in the formula tool itself to string as shown in the screenshot.

grazitti_sapna_0-1590986319468.png

2) Or if the formula tool thing does not work for you then try select tool as suggested where you can simply change the type and hardcode it to the desired type.

grazitti_sapna_1-1590986393477.png

Labels