Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multirow formula does not repond to "IF" statement

jpolomsky
7 - Meteor

Hello all

I ma trying to use multirow formula to basically fill blanks with text from above. I recon I can do this with an IF statement however it shows me this.

jpolomsky_1-1606142170356.png

Any idea why it wont work? Basically I am trying to select line description and add text into blanks in that column but it wont even let me to use an IF statement. 

Thanks 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jpolomsky 

Formula prompt feature is not available in Mutli-row formula tool.

You need to go to function tab of Mutli-row formula tool to get formulas.

atcodedog05_0-1606142436389.png

Here is a resource to help you out https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Multi-Row-Formula/ta-p/82872

Hope this helps and answers your question 🙂

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

It's coming up with a red squiggly line because it's incomplete, but if you're trying to fill-down the empty rows try this,

IF isnull([Line Description]) 
then [row-1:Line Description]
else [Line Description
endif

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Philip 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jpolomsky,

The multirow formula wasn't working as expected: 

Emil_Kos_0-1606142377566.png

You need to go to functions option and choose conditional and double click If statement in order to populate it.

This is the formula that you want to paste:

IF c THEN t ELSE f ENDIF

Please keep in mind that it isn't formula tool and you will need to make more clicking here 🙂 

Please mark my post as an answer if this was helpful!

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hey @jpolomsky !

Well, if I understand right, you need to do something like the formula below:

IF isempty([Line Description]) or isnull([Line Description])

THEN [Row-1:Line Description]

ELSE [Line Description]

ENDIF

Hope that help you!

jpolomsky
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot! It worked.

I also wonder, for multirow formula, I can do that for one column at a time or can I do multiple columns all at once?Alike in formula function?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jpolomsky,

you will need to use couple of tools in order to achieve this.

I think you can check this post to get an idea how this can be done:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Multi-Row-formula-for-Multiple-columns...

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

nice @jpolomsky !

Well, to do that I think is good to you look the @Emil_Kos link about that. If you need to do to many columns, I think will be more complex, maybe create a batch to receive the field list to do that multi-row formula inside a batch macro can be a way.

If the answer helped you, please mark as solution to be easier to other user find that answer!

Labels