Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiplying fields based on unique names

Alastair
7 - Meteor

Hello to the community,

I want to multiply fields from different source documents based on the field names being identicle, i.e. see attached:

So multiply 'person 1' hourly rate by 'person 1' number of hours worked, to create a new field 'Employee Cost' for person 1, person 2, etc. per month.

This is just a simple example representing what I am trying to do, there are 100s of fields in my data . What is important is that the multiplication only takes place if the names are identical. 

Join doesn't work because it renames the field names which are not unique - anyone have a possible solution?   

3 REPLIES 3
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Alastair

Did you try to transpose the fields before using the join?

Alastair
7 - Meteor

@Aguisande wrote:

Hi @Alastair

Did you try to transpose the fields before using the join?

Hi @aguisande, that sounds like the right approach.

So once I have transposed, I can join by the persons name, then I can create a new field for employee cost [$ * $/hr]. But now I have 2 dates fields with different dates per record - how would you then suggest grouping by common dates?

Alastair
7 - Meteor

I can join by name and date within the same same join and then it works well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Labels