Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiplying fields based on unique names

Alastair
7 - Meteor

Hello to the community,

I want to multiply fields from different source documents based on the field names being identicle, i.e. see attached:

So multiply 'person 1' hourly rate by 'person 1' number of hours worked, to create a new field 'Employee Cost' for person 1, person 2, etc. per month.

This is just a simple example representing what I am trying to do, there are 100s of fields in my data . What is important is that the multiplication only takes place if the names are identical. 

Join doesn't work because it renames the field names which are not unique - anyone have a possible solution?   

3 REPLIES 3
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Alastair

Did you try to transpose the fields before using the join?

Alastair
7 - Meteor

@Aguisande wrote:

Hi @Alastair

Did you try to transpose the fields before using the join?

Hi @aguisande, that sounds like the right approach.

So once I have transposed, I can join by the persons name, then I can create a new field for employee cost [$ * $/hr]. But now I have 2 dates fields with different dates per record - how would you then suggest grouping by common dates?

Alastair
7 - Meteor

I can join by name and date within the same same join and then it works well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Labels