Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple versions of the same input tool

PeterV
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a limited (3) number of input files but I am using them for the basis of a number of non-linked calculation workflows so is it better to use one input tool with lots of connectors or doesn't it matter (in performance terms) if I use multiple versions.  I am not too concerned about a few percent in performance terms but think that the latter would allow for a far more ordered and readable work space.

Views and thoughts welcomed.

Peter

2 REPLIES 2
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

It is better to use the single input for multiple workflows because the read in is going to be one of the main bottlenecks of an Alteryx workflow.  There is no reason to read in a file multiple times and slow the start of subsequent processes.  If you would like a well ordered workspace, I would suggest putting a select after the input for each separate workflow, and organizing the workflow starts based on that select tool.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

PeterV
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Many thanks for the response.  I feared as much as can see it in the performance if I am being honest but is a shame as makes the workflows much more structure and easier to follow.

Thanks again,

Peter

Labels