Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Multiple tab inputs to multiple tab outputs

Highlighted
Atom

I have a simple workflow that is meant to calculate several numbers. It is formatted to follow the same data structure that is organized within each tab. Instead of running the workflow 20 different times, I would like to somehow run the calculation within each tab and output the data into 20 different tabs (or it could even just be 20 rows in the same tab). I have been reading other community posts about multi-sheet inputs but I just do not understand how to do this... Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided!

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mis13027 

You fundementally need a batch macro to read in the Excel sheets.  Have a look at this sample workflow I knocked up.

In the Input Directory tool, select the directory you want to read your data from.

This will read multiple sheets and the data within the tabs of those sheets.

You can then use the formula tool to apply your calculations.  Because the Sheet/Tab name is maintained, you can understand the data associated to them,

You can then output in one flow or into an Excel across multiple tabs based on a specific field / column.

Highlighted
Bolide
Bolide

Hi @mis13027,

If the schema of each tab is the same you can get list of all tabs like this: <List of Sheet Names> and dynamically create all links.

Dynamic Input tool can fetch all data and allow you to apply the calculation.

Provided the knowledge of the source tabs, you can change the output filename and tabs are retained.

img1.JPGimg2.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

Highlighted
Atom

I'm sure I didn't follow all of your instructions correctly, but based on what I've tried, Alteryx continues to combine all of my sheets into one data set, so my calculations apply to the grand total of my numbers, as opposed to each sheet individually... 

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you put your calculations inside the batch macro, and set the control group of the macro to your sheets, then the calculation will run for the specific sheet in the macro as part of 1 iteration.

Can you upload the latest version of your workflow and I can look to assist?

Highlighted
Atom

Hi RishiK,

I wasn't able to look at your original workflow because my version of Alteryx is outdated, so I was following the instructions the other user left me. Please advise at your convenience! Thank you very much for you time.

Labels