Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multiple substrings

RasmusLindBjerre
5 - Atom

Hey there,

I have a question on how to use the output ([value]) as the input in a substring, meaning 0 to first entry, first entry+1 to second, second+1 to third, etc. Is there any possible way to do so? And if there is, then how? 

Background for data. It has been extracted without any delimiter and I would therefore like to split data into several substrings.

Thanks in advance!

dkrlbj_1-1616752532882.png

3 REPLIES 3
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @RasmusLindBjerre ,

I am having trouble trying to understand what you need, could you please explain it with an example?

Regards

RasmusLindBjerre
5 - Atom

Hey @afv2688 ,

Sorry for the messy explanation. I've worked a bit further on this a might be able to present it better now. 

To clarify a bit, Field_1 contains a string of text that doesn't have any proper delimiter in it. Therefore, I have create a workflow that can dissect how wide a field should be (this widths can be seen in columns 1, ..., 7). 

What do I want to do with it? I want to do a substring on Field_1 using column 1,...,7. As a practical example:

The first substring should be from 0 to [1] (in this case 11). Next should be from [1]+1 to [2], all the way up to [6]+1 to [7].

The lowkey "bad way" of picturizing it is SUBSTRING([Field_1],0,[1]), SUBSTRING([Field_1],[1]+1,[2]), SUBSTRING([Field_1],[2]+1,[3]), etc. I hope this is a bit clearer!

dkrlbj_0-1616762570048.png

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @RasmusLindBjerre ,

I created a macro a while ago that reads flat files and names every data specified on a csv file.

On this, you enter the column name, length and data type and this will configure the input.

Please take a look at it.

Regards

Labels