Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple sheets Multiple Excel files macro issue

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Hi,

I've been trying to use the Multiple sheets multiple excel files macro found elsewhere on here, but having opened the package and got it into designer, when I try to run it I get this error:

Multiple Sheets Multiple Excel files.png

I haven't made any changes to the macro/package (redownloaded it to check), just opened it and run it, and I consistently get this error. 

The file path is correct, but it fails to find it when it goes through the macro.

Any suggestions please? 

Thanks

PuffinPanic 

6 REPLIES 6
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @PuffinPanic, try this.

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

Thanks for this.

When I import it, it has the filepath set for your user - fair enough - I've edited this in the dependency properties to my folder. 

I've tried a couple of different folder locations, but get this message in the Test Error box in the workflow dependency properties:

directory does not exist.png

Clearly the directories I've tried do exist, because I've browsed to them. I'm guessing this is what's causing the issue with the macro. 

It's odd that inputs using a data input tool work fine, but trying through a macro is failing.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

PuffinPanic

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

I don't have my file path within the macros, the only place is on the Directory tool. You should be able to run the workflow with those macros, just by updating the Directory.

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

You're right, that's what was wrong.

However, when I have opened the package I'm getting 'The entry point is invalid' and broken links. Not sure what tools are supposed to be in there.

entry point invalid.png

PuffinPanic
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

So, I'm not sure why this has worked, but, a combination of "[FullPath]+"Sheet1$"" in the Full path formula tool in the main workflow and making sure the expected sheet name is on the 'Replace a specific string' value in the format <full path>|||`Sheet1$` in the macro seems to have made it work. 

I'm not going to question why, but if anyone knows and would like to explain I'm all ears!

Thanks for trying to help @gabrielvilella 

PuffinPanic

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

When importing the package, you need to click yes and import on the messages that appear when you open it in Alteryx.

You need the sheet name with the full path because the macro is updating everything. If you don't have all the information it is expecting it will fail.

Labels