Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multiple instances of same process... must be a better way?

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I seem to have a mental block about how to do this better? I frequently find myself filtering eg. a date column multiple times then feeding those multiple values into the same process which I've copy/pasted down the page:

CDunhill_0-1604508476884.png

This strikes me as being a 'not smart' way of going about things, but I can't get my head around how to improve this.

Surely I don't need to resort to macros (which I've not successfully used before)?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

7 REPLIES 7
morr-co
10 - Fireball

Hi @CDunhill : it sounds like a batch macro may be useful? This would allow you to pass in the list of dates and the same operations are executed for each date in the list. Below is a link to a short video on how to build them.

https://youtu.be/YIAbQGQ_Hkg

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CDunhill ,

I've attached the Workflow and the macro for you. I hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Thank you - I will check this out. I'd kind of thought it might be possible sans macro, but seemingly not!

So, looks like time I got my head around batch macros! Thanks for the tutorial link, too.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CDunhill ,

no problem, and yes I would strongly recommend getting to grips with batch macros as they're insanely useful. Many people shy away from them because they seem complicated, but once you get your head around them they're really straightforward. Even I can understand them, and I have that brain thing...

M.

ps - If my macro worked can you mark it as a solution? Cheers.

Bulien

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

I will indeed. This may not be immediate as I'm having to get to grips with the concept, but I'm pretty certain this will be exactly what I need and will revolutionise a load of stuff I'm doing!

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Ok, not sure if this is a version issue but I'm getting the error message "The file is not a valid macro" when I try to insert it.

I'm using Alteryx 2020.2.3 - is this likely to be the issue?

ianwi
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @CDunhill,

If you're interested in learning more about macros, I also recommend checking out the new Macros Interactive Lessons in Academy!

Labels