Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multiple files with multiple sheets into one file with multiple sheets

TJ2
7 - Meteor

I have a number of individual files with unique names with numerous unique tabs containing the same fields. All of these individual files needs to be combined into one file and all of the individual sheets needs to be combined sheet by sheet. For example: Three files with three sheets each combined into one file with each of the three sheets appended from the individual files.

7 REPLIES 7
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@TJ2,

You can do this using a batch macro:

1- Update the file path

messi007_0-1614277555690.png

2- Update the sheet name using the dynamic read

messi007_1-1614277595174.png

3- Update the macro read properties

messi007_2-1614277646776.png

3- Call the macro

messi007_3-1614277674248.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope this helps!

Regards

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

@TJ2 

This should work for you.

skeen503979_0-1614278055931.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TJ2 ,

I've built some tool to do this automatically.

I've attached the tools and an example.

Open the example, simply change the folder and filename in the directory tool and that should load everything for you.

M.

Bulien

TJ2
7 - Meteor

To clarify, I need the output file to have the data combined as shown: One file with three different tabs appended together

TJ2_0-1614284013561.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TJ2 , that's right.

The method I gave you will essentially load in all files and all sheets and union them together, which creates the output you've specified.

If you only wish to load in certain sheets, filter them after the multi-sheet macro.

M.

Bulien

TJ2
7 - Meteor

Thanks so far, cool macro. I got the data to be combined following the instructions, but I need a separate tab to be created for each tab the data came from. This is combining everything into one tab. The output file should have three separate tabs with data appended from the three separate files.

jpdwhite
5 - Atom

Thanks for a great macro, I was searching around for ages before I found this post!

Quick question though, I've added the file name to the output data, but I can't work out how to add the sheet name, could you help please?

Thanks!

Labels