Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple columns with alphanumeric data, standardize units.

8 - Asteroid

I have 9 columns of data that look like this. Ultimately I need everything in each column to have a standard unit (probably Gb) and be just a clean number.

Is there an easier way to do this than?

1. Create 9 helper columns via [9] Right formulas extracting last 4 characters
  2. Clean the original columns of all whitespace and letters, convert to a numeric data type
  3. With another 9 formulas, standardize the original columns based on whether the helper columns are "Gbps" or "Mbps".
  4. Remove the helper columns.

I'm already like 30% through the above steps, so I'm wondering more for future reference if there's a more efficient method.

colorado970_0-1589561461859.png

2 REPLIES 2
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @271828,

Yes this could be done with one multi-field formula (the same tool icon as your community avatar!) which would allow you to apply a formula to multiple columns at once.

IF Right(ToString([_CurrentField_]), 4) = 'Gbps'
THEN ToNumber(Regex_Replace(ToString([_CurrentField_]),'[^0-9.]','')) * 1000
ELSE ToNumber(Regex_Replace(ToString([_CurrentField_]),'[^0-9.]',''))
ENDIF

My example input:

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1589563547481.png

Output after multi-field formula:

Jonathan-Sherman_2-1589563565082.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

8 - Asteroid

Well that was simple. Thanks! For what it's worth that avatar was the default- it'd be mildly amusing if I set that myself.

Labels