Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multiple Tabs in Excel

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

I have a multiple output data(more than 10) and I want to save all the data in a single excel file.

I am using folder browse so that the user can select their desire output after that I am using action tool that will update the output with formula but i am facing an error and i.e. sometimes it is saying that access denied and sometimes it is saying that file is being used by different process.

Therefore I have used block until done but still I am facing the same error and I am unable to save my output to multiple tabs in single excel files.

Some solutions will be a great help.

i have attached a sample data and sample workflow for your reference.

I am stuck at this point so please help me out.

13 REPLIES 13
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

On my environment your workflow work well.

Do you set the location of saving the Excel file at the Network drive and so on?

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

The workflow you shared ran fine for me, but I tested by writing to a local path on my machine. Targeting a network folder or cloud (i.e., OneDrive, Box, etc.) it may already be trying to sync the file after the first one drops.

Attached is an alternate approach that you can test. The output this produces is identical to what your original workflow produced, but not sure how applicable this design will be when you plug it into your actual data.

jrgo_4-1608218076328.png

Main difference is that it only uses one Output tool, but the output path is entirely replaced with a file path that is created beforehand.

Happy to explain further if needed.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

I am saving my excel output to local device and also taking input from local device.

On my pc this workflow is not working please suggest some alternative solution to save a single file with multiple tabs using the same workflow schema

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

Being that I was unable to reproduce the error (along with the other user who responded) using the Workflow you shared, I don't know what needs to be fixed. It also leads me to suggest that the issue is local on your machine.

Do you know if your machine has any active antivirus and/or disk encryption software running? it could be that the file is already being examined and/or encrypted after the first output tool writes out the file making it temporarily inaccessible to your subsequent output tools. If you do (and allowed to do so), try disabling them temporarily to see if that has any impact.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

Would you disable AMP Engine?

It occurs sometimes problem.

There are many difference between Alteryx Engine and AMP Engine. 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/alteryx-engine-and-amp-main-differences

hroderick
8 - Asteroid

There is syncing or backup happening after you close first tab. Try writing to c:\temp. 

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have disabled the AMP engine and I am getting a successful result for 3-4 times and again running the same workflow I am getting below error:

Unable to create a backup, Access is denied.

In short, i tried the same workflow many times and it successfully ran for 3-4 times and after that it is throwing an error. 

Please suggest a solution so that I can get error free result as many times I run the same workflow

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vijaylnyadav 

Please try to use Parallel Block Until Done macro.

"Parallel Block Until Done" is the part of Crew Macro.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/CReW-Macros-Difference-between-Label-B...

Crew Macro : 

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

vijaylnyadav
8 - Asteroid

I tried all the possible solution as suggested but I am getting the below results:-

• While running the same workflow some time it shows "Unable to create a backup" or "Access Denied" and sometimes it rans successfully.
  • Therefore, I want a perfect solutions by which I can get desired O/P as many times I run the workflow without any error.
Labels