Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Tab input

KANNAM2
6 - Meteoroid

How To: Import multiple tabs from one Excel file which has different Schema. I found various solutions to input multiple tabs from multiple files with different Schema using a batch macro. In batch macro's i need to specify the sheet name, the reason i do not want to use batch macro as the file has 30+ tabs with different tab names and schema.

9 REPLIES 9
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@KANNAM2 

Do you want to import these into one big table or as 30 different streams?

KANNAM2
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, you are correct in one big table

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

In which case the batch macro is the best way to achieve this. 

Use the Input Data tool to connect to your Excel workbook and read in the list of sheet names dynamically.

You can then feed these into a batch macro which will open each of these sheets and unions them together. See the option 3 in this blog post.

sheet-names.pngsheet-names1.png

KANNAM2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi MichalM,

I tried the solution but still getting the below error. 

clipboard_image_7.png

clipboard_image_8.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

There's a problem with the configuration of your macro. 

The Input data tool within your macro needs to be configured to open one of the sheets within the file. And the data your passing into the macro through the control parameter (list of sheet names) will dynamically replace the reference to the sheet name.

sheet-names2.png

KANNAM2
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, this worked. Appreciate your help

samraatg
5 - Atom

Can you provide some guidance to, how to input multi tabs to different work streams.

DannyS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@samraatg 

I would recommend checking out these two Community articles for different situations you might find yourself in for importing multiple tabs from Excel workbooks. See below:

samraatg
5 - Atom

Thank you Danny. I will check out the links.

Labels