Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Sheets and Calculation

Tamzid
6 - Meteoroid

1. I have some data in two sheets in a file named 'Sample'. I tried to use dynamic input to extract the data from both the sheets. It seems like I am getting an error because the columns are not in the same order. I have the same number of  columns in each sheet. So is there a way around it other than editig the first "Sample" file to make sure that first column headings are the same in each sheet?

Or am I doing this completely wrong and there is a different way to extrract multiple sheets in the same workbook?

2. I have attached a second file with sample data that has same columns and in same order in both sheets in file named 'Sample 2'

How can I count the each category of color? Any color value with text or value greater than zero should equal to one. Blanks are zeroes. I am notlooking to just the values and a person can pick multiple colors.

How can I measure how many times each individual picked what color on 12/1 and 12/2. And at what proportion each color was picked on those specific days?

1 REPLY 1
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Tamzid,

1. Check out this article for instructions on how to pull in multiple excel files/sheets with different schemas: The Ultimate Input Data Flowchart

2. Here's what I came up with:

Untitled.png

Multi-Field Formula replaces all null values in the "color" fields with 0, and any other fields (non-null fields) with a 1

Transpose to flip the data

Select tool changes the [Value] column (with the number of selections for each color) from a String to an Int type

Summarize (1) Groups By the Date and Color and sums the number of times picked

Summarize (2) Groups By the Date and gives a total sum of all colors picked (used for the percentage calculation later)

Join the data back together to append each Date with the appropriate Total

Formula calculates the percentage

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels