Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Queries In-Database

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Almost Friday, Alteryx Community.  Can. You. Feel. IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So i am just starting to get into the In-Database tools.  I have a SSMS query that is really two queries, one being a query that creates a temp table, which is then itself queried.  Confused yet.

So in Alteryx, I have successfully used the Connect In-DB tool to bring back the desired results of the first part of  my query (the temp table part).  Now, I am wondering how I would run the second part, which queries the temp table?  Is it one of the In-Database tools, or am I going about doing this the wrong way?  Can you create a temp table using the In-Database tools, just like you would in SSMS?  Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Two thoughts:

You can write something like:

SELECT a.name FROM

(SELECT name FROM agentinformation) a 

In a regular Input Data tool and Alteryx will handle it fine.  I have sometimes found that Alteryx has a hard time with these types of queries in the In-Database tools (since from a technical perspective, the In-Database tools create very similar subqueries, so they don't always nest appropriately).

With regards to write permissions needed for temp tables - I'm not an expert on SQL Server or any other database technology, but my understanding is that typically the ability to create temp tables and the ability to write to a permanent table are two separated permissions, so it is possible to have access to use In-Database without having permission to create a New Table.

ak2018
8 - Asteroid

How would the SELECT In-DB tool help? It does not allow to insert a query or such. I am struggling to understand what would come next after the Data Stream InDB Tool. Pardon my ignorance as am still a novice. 

I used the Data Stream In-DB Tool to ingest records that will go into a temp table that I have to join with a bunch of datasets that are otherwise huge to pull records that match and then bring them out. Sounds simple but I haven't been able to accomplish this. The only way I could do is with this layout: However, am not sure how it will perform once I ingest more than 50 files with over 2GB of records instead of just 1 file I do currently with about 150k rows.

ak2018_0-1648134818699.png

Labels