Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Outputs

carterfleming
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to write to multiple outputs. In total, there will be 13 output files with 3 tabs each and 1 output file with 42 tabs. I've tried putting Block Until Dones in basically every possible position within the flow but that doesn't seem to solve it. Does anyone have any tips on how to write to this many output files without getting the "Unable to open file for write" error?

3 REPLIES 3
AmrMansour
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @carterfleming,

That's a great example of the benefits of Batch Macro. It will make you able to output one file/sheet on each loop. 

here are some of how Macros work in Alteryx:

-Getting Started with Batch Macros
- Interactive Lessons 

Tool Mastery | Apps and Macros

-Tool Mastery | Control Parameter

Cheers,

Amr Mansour

Digital CSM 

DataNath
17 - Castor

@carterfleming for the single file to multiple sheets, are you just splitting the dataset on a certain field to get the sheets you want? If so, I built a macro which will do this for you. You can find that here (the configuration is fairly straight forward but happy to help if there's any issues): https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Output-to-multiple-Excel-files-or-sheets/t...

For the 13 files of 3 tabs each, how are you currently breaking these down? I.e. do you split on field X to get your files, and then split on column Y to further break that down into the sheets within? @fvilelabr wrote a brilliant post on how to do this with a batch macro: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Output-multiple-excel-files-with-multiple-sheets-based...

However, if you're keen to stick with your original flow, I think the issue is just the placement of your Block Until Done tools. You're currently staggering the final step (i.e. the 1 and 2 in A/B). However, you need Block Until Done tools a step before in order to ensure that Alteryx doesn't run A + B parallel, which will cause issues as B is currently trying to write to a file already being written to by A:

DataNath_0-1656592841058.png

And so you'd end up with something like this:

DataNath_1-1656592895214.png

carterfleming
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @datanath that worked!

Labels