Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Headings in One Column

TomH1
6 - Meteoroid

I have two issues I am looking to address and am unsure about how to go about it.

1. The data source I am working with has multiple headings in one column (just how it exports from a program). It also displays the same heading multiple times per the below example (Accom then 2 rows of data, Accom followed by 2 rows of data etc). Is there a tool or formula in Alteryx that can bring these from the column above the data to the row beside the data in a new column?

From

Field 1Field 2
AccomNull
Name 145
Name 240
AccomNull
Name 345
Name 440
Bar SalesNull
Name 130

TO

Field 1Field 2Field 3
AccomName 145
AccomName 240
AccomName 345
AccomName 440
Bar SalesName 145
Bar SalesName 240

2. Formula to replace null value with the previous Non-Null value in the same column so as to have the A/C Types displayed in the same row as the data per the below.

From

Field 1Field 2Field 3
A/C Type 1NullNull
NullName 110
NullName 215
A/C Type 2NullNull
NullName 310
NullName 415

To

Field 1Field 2Field 3
A/C Type 1Name 110
A/C Type 1Name 215
A/C Type 2Name 310
A/C Type 2Name 415
4 REPLIES 4
Inactive User
Not applicable

Create a new field. Then set the value to equal Field 1 when Field 2 is null, else null. Then perform a multi row formula on the new field to fill the nulls down until a non-null value is reached.

Then filter out rows with Null in field 2. 

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

Both cases can be solved using the Multi-Row Formula tool. The solutions are below as well as a workflow attached.

Flow 1:

s1 flow.PNG

Result 1:

s1 result.PNG

Flow 2:

s2 flow.PNG

Result 2:

s2 result.PNG

TomH1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your answer, this has worked well!

The only issue I have is that the new column is not pulling across the heading for the first 20 cells as the Heading is actually a heading of the column. Is there anyway to pick this up in the formula also?

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

You can use the transpose tool then join it back with the first column data to end with the header as a new column per the below:

Flow:

header data.PNG

Input:

Input.PNG

Result:

output.PNG

Join:

Join.PNG

Labels