Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Excels - Read and Load specific Sheet only

anudeepy
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Guys,

I have 140+ Excel files in a directory. In every file, a Sheet is common - "Data". I want to load every one of them and filter out Data sheet(s) and combine them chronologically as per date. (date is included in Excel file name). I'm new to alteryx, Please help me in solving this.

Thanks,

Anudeep.

4 REPLIES 4
anudeepy
6 - Meteoroid

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @anudeepy 

You can use a wildcard in your Input tool configuration. Connect to one of the files, and choose the "Data" tab. Then change as much of the filename as needed to grab all of the files in the directory, by replacing text with an asterisk.

So, for all Excel files in a directory, that would be directory\*.xlsx

You can choose, in the output settings, to include the file name as well.

As long as all of the schema is the same, then the files will union one after another.

If the schema don't match, then I highly recommend the Wildcard xlsx tool from Crew Macros.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @anudeepy 

You can try something like the attached workflow

Input.png

The key here is that the file path contains a wildcard (*.xlsx) to read all excel files and that you specify to output the file name as a field.  That will load your data and add the file name to each of the rows.

Results.png

from there you can parse the file name to extract the date information

Dan

anudeepy
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Esther

Labels