Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Emails sent when email tool too early in workflow

flipperdm
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Not sure why this behaviour happens but when I have the follow workflow:

Input Tool -> Select Tool -> Email Tool (with the output as the second branch), I see multiple emails for the same file.

But when I add another tool like Table (or anything else) and then put the email AFTER that tool, it sends the single email.

Is there a cleaner way to make this work? (the full workflow is more complicated and I don't want to have unnecessary tools on the workspace when I publish.

Mark

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
suli
9 - Comet

The second one is the correct way... no unnecessary tools included there.

You are sending out multiple emails because in the section 'body' you are using a field.

1. You can also save a file with an output tool

AND

(2. Add 'block until done' before output, in the first output save file, in the second - send email with a file attachment

OR

2. in workflow configuration-> events add an event (email) with the file you have just saved as an attachment.)

Btw. I think you cannot use email tool nor events in the gallery https://help.alteryx.com/10.0/PublishMessages.htm

Hope it helps!

andre347
10 - Fireball

Alteryx will send out an e-mail for each record you're passing into the tool. You can use a summarize, or one of the reporting tools to bring this down to 1 row. I sometimes use a sample tool to just get the first row and pass that into the E-mail tool. This will mean it will only send out one e-mail when the workflow finishes running.

You can have the e-mail tool in your own Gallery, you can't use it in gallery.alteryx.com - this is prohibited but can you change that setting on your own server.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@andre347... brilliant!

I was going crazy with the multiple emails and the sample tool did the trick! Thanks!

ggalvez
5 - Atom

Hello I am new to Alteryx and I did try a very simple workflow to test the email tool.  I followed the recommendations/suggestions in this discussion but nothing worked.  I did use the sample tool as well with one record and first I used the browser tool to ensure there was only one record returned and i am still getting tens of emails.  Has this happened to anybody and resolved in a different manner?

Thank you,

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@ggalvez I'm new to Alteryx too and I couldn't survive without this community!

Here's how I have my workflow configured. The sample tool is just prior to the email tool.

Capture.PNG

Let me know if you're still stuck and maybe I can help troubleshoot.

poojitha4
8 - Asteroid

I have tried using the basic table tool->taking one row using the sample tool and send an email, but I get a blank email. If you could help, that will be helpful

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @poojitha4... I'm happy to help. Are you able to share your workflow?

WendyChen
7 - Meteor

Hi @andre347 

When you mentioned you used summarize tool to make the email tool send out only one email. How did you configure your summarize tool? 

Thanks!

Wendy

VizWithDan
7 - Meteor

Thank you!!!

Labels