Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Delimiters for Text File

schoi419
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I have two files:

1. Text File.txt - this is the file that I hope to parse out through the delimiter file
  2. Delimiters.xlsx - this has 179 delimiters that I need to use to parse out the Text File data

As stated above, I would like to use the Delimiters file (which has a lot of delimiters) to parse out the Text File. What I had initially done was: I brought in the Text File as a Flat file and then try to delimit by width, but realized that it needed to be parsed by character length. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @schoi419 

If you specify that your input file is a .flat ASCII,

c.png

you can then click the Blue ellipsis and specify the format of the file using an other file

i.png

The format file needs to be in a specific xml format

<flatfile version="1">
  <file eoltype="crlf" allowShortLines="f" allowLongLines="t" trimWhiteSpace="t" />
  <fields>
    <field name="Company Code" type="V_String" length="15" />
    <field name="Division Code" type="V_String" length="15" />
    <field name="Department Code" type="V_String" length="15" />
    <field name="Tax Category Code" type="V_String" length="4" />
    <field name="Geo Code" type="V_String" length="10" />
    <field name="the rest" type="V_String" length="1432" />
  </fields>
</flatfile>

This information is already in your .xlsx, so it should be relatively simple to convert it to this format

Dan

schoi419
6 - Meteoroid

This was amazing. Thank you!

Lindi
5 - Atom

Afternoon,

I have had a similar problem to the one shared and I have used Dan's advise. My first file loaded beautifully but my second and subsequent files only 'bring back' the first line of data. I have not limited the record numbers in any way. What am I missing?

Labels