Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi row formula on multiple columns

prpatel
11 - Bolide

Hi,

I get a lot of data to analyze that comes from Excel where the user (or excel sheet developer) has merged rows together.  I can use the multi row formula tool with the statement "If row is blank, then use row-1 else use row end".  That's my pseudo-code...not Alteryx format.

In one use case I I have 7 of these such columns, and I've used 7 multi-row tools., and it looks like this...

prpatel_0-1663093766991.png

Is there an easier way of doing this without the 7 multi-row tools.  I'm working on another dataset that has 15 of these, and am looking for a faster way out.

Thanks.

-prpatel.

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @prpatel 

You can transpose the data and apply the logic once, then cross-tab back:

Luke_C_0-1663094618519.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @prpatel

If you have to apply the same formula with the same tool to multiple columns you will want to transpose your data onto one column to apply the calculation. Like this:

IraWatt_0-1663094767173.png

This solution uses the transpose and cross tab tools which can be hard to understand to new users. I would recommend checking out the community Getting-Started-Learning-Path for some context on how they work: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Learning-Paths/Getting-Started-Learning-Path/ta-p/475117#done

Any questions or issues please ask

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@prpatel Transpose/Crosstab is certainly the usual way to go (as @IraWatt and @Luke_C have done), but I created the multi-row -field -column macro  to do the same without having to transpose/crosstab. It's a quirky little macro that I use every so often for cases like this!

patrick_digan_0-1663095155618.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@patrick_digan awesome macro should be made part of Alteryx Designer by default 👏

NoelCarson
6 - Meteoroid

An easier way could be to use formula tool create a Boolean column which is updated to '0' if blank and '1' if it has data. Then use a filter tool to remove the rows marked as '0'.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I need to study this post since it attracted many big shots. 😁

Labels