Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi field Regex

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I'm looking for a regex expression that I can use into multi field formula tool to extract the text. The empty/template string looks like this:

{"blocks":[{"key":"14qa","text":"","type":"unstyled","depth":0,"inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}}],"entityMap":{}}

If there is text, in this case to be extracted, it looks like this:

{"blocks":[{"key":"c1247","text":"Requires repetitive human interaction to log in to different systems and collect data in a spreadsheet.","type":"unstyled","depth":0,"inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}}],"entityMap":{}}

7 REPLIES 7
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @Istwineres ,

This is JSON text - don't you just want to use the JSON Parse tool?

TomWelgemoed_0-1614260496773.png

Regards,

Tom

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

As mentioned, the JSON Parse tool is the easiest option.

If you want to use RegEx in Parse mode, try this expression:  (.*)("text":")(.*)(","type")(.*)

Screenshot 2021-02-25 074433.png

Chris

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

I know it is JSON text, this is a partial result from a RESTful API get but I get this error " JSON Parse (39) Error message: The document is empty. at character position: 0". Moreover I need to apply to mulltiple fields

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Thanks @Istwineres,

That context helps. Did you try @ChrisTX 's suggestion?

If that doesn't do it, would you mind to submit a sample file so I can try & help? I'm thinking a macro may be an option too.

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

I've got this part I'm trying to use in a multi field formula to avoid 8 parse regex tools

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try the Multi Field Formula tool with this function:

REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], '(.*)("text":")(.*)(","type")(.*)', "$3")

Screenshot 2021-02-25 082941.png

Chris

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks! I missed the "$3" part of the replace in Regex formula

Labels