Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-conditional statement problems

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone, 

I am an Alteryx rookie and am having issues with another one of my multi-conditional statements.  I have tried changing the [created] data type from a date, to an integer, to a string and cannot seem to clear the error message in the formula.  I continue to get the error message "the field ""is not contained in the record".  

If [created]<="2019-01-01" THEN "2018"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-01-31" THEN "January"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-02-28" THEN "February"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-03-31" THEN "March"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-04-30" THEN "April"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-05-31" THEN "May"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-06-30" THEN "June"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-07-31" THEN "July"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-08-31" THEN "August"
ELSEif [created]<="2019-09-30" THEN "September"
Else "Other"
ENDIF

Thanks for the help!

Matt.

6 REPLIES 6
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@MHS 

Whats the data type of the column you are applying the conditions for? ie. the output column

MHS
8 - Asteroid

Its labeled as a V_WString, but I am unable to change it.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@MHS 

Can you upload your workflow?

Without seeing it though, did you make sure to name the field that you added with this formula?  That can cause the error you're getting.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MHS your formula works when the data type is a date field. 

If_170919.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MHS 

The message "the field ""is not contained in the record" is the message you get when your trying to apply a formula without specifying the field that you want to apply it to.

Formula.png

Make sure you have something in the red box above, either a new name for a new column or an existing column if you're trying to change one of those

Dan

MHS
8 - Asteroid

That was it!

Forgot to label the output field name....

Thanks for the help!

Labels