Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row formula

yuanlu
7 - Meteor

Is there any way I can always get a value in the formula from a fixed row & column, i.e something like in Excel, we have $I$8 for column I and row 8 

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @yuanlu 

Sorry, no fixed cell reference like $I$8 doesn't work in Alteryx.

Hope this helps : )

yuanlu
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your info.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @yuanlu 

It is possible to do that, but perhaps not very elegant. 

1) Read the file such that the first row also contains data. Then your column names will be F1, FY2 etc..

2) Suppose you want to get column A2, that would be equivalent to column F1, row 2. Then you use the Select Tool to select only column F1, and use the Select Records Tool to get only the 2 row.

I don't know the use case you have in mind here, perhaps you want to use this output for further downstream calculation. But this is about as close to Excel fixed reference as possible.

Dawn.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@yuanlu 

Another point not mentioned above is that if you want to reference a value from a specific cell, you have to append that value to the dataset where you want to reference it. 

After using @DawnDuong's method to get the specific value, use an Append Fields tool to add it to every row in your dataset

Dan  

yuanlu
7 - Meteor

Thanks Dawn, If I understand correctly, you mean to create a new column which contains a constant value from the fixed cell?

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @yuanlu 

i understand that you want to create some new calculated columns which reference to a fixed cell in Excel 

so after you get the 1x1 value, use the Append tool which will add a new column where every row has this same value.

then you can use this new field in any calculation or downstream operations 

dawn

Labels