Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row assigning values with length formula

juan1
7 - Meteor

Dear All,

I am having a tough time trying to group Cities, Countries, and Airport Codes from the same column. These were downloaded from a webpage and I scrapped the values into the format that I wanted. However, I am trying to group them by line instead of having them all in the same column. I am trying to use the multi-row formula for this, so that then I can use the Cross Tab tool.

juan1_0-1623445165039.png

My idea is to assign a value of 0's to the data other than the airport code (3-digit code) And then use another multi-row formula with +1 to have increasing number by every group of three. Meaning group 1 is 1, group 2 is 2, etc.

Maybe this is a hard way of solving it, but I ran out of ideas.

Thank you so much in advance for your help! 🙂

Best,

Juan1

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @juan1 

Here's three different ways to do this:

1. Make columns tool: Creates columns based on one column, in this case I specified every three fields would correlate to the columns. It's still technically a 'laboratory' tool though, so no guarantee there won't be bugs. It seems to work well though.
  2. Tile Tool: Using the equal records option, I can group the data into different tiles and crosstab here. You'll need to divide your total records by 3 to get the number of tiles to enter. (i.e. I tested with 4 airports which is 12 records, so I entered 4).
  3. Multi-row formulas: I used this to emulate the tile tool, but would be dynamic if the the # of records is changing between runs. It checks if the mod of the record ID is 0 to define each new airport. 

Luke_C_0-1623676601668.png

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @juan1 

One way is to use the 2 formula tools and a cross tab tool, as shown in the mock-up below.

Cheers,
Dawn.

Input.PNG

Output.PNG

Labels