Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row Formula with Various Inputs

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

I am not sure if this is possible, but I have a Page Numbers field that could contain various numbers. I basically want to assign a number to each page number in increments of 5. The count of 5 would need to start from the first page number, no matter what it is  The problem is that my data doesn't contain all page numbers in sequential order and page numbers could be duplicated.  I also have different years and would want the 5 count to start over based on the year.  I've attached two examples.  This would be a lifesaver!  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

you basically need to round each number to the nearest multple of 5, but how are you determining the rounding? up? down? closest?

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

I don't know how that would work because the page numbers will vary.  Numbers that I want captured in the same group could be rounded to different numbers.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @bsolove,

This is a way to count the records in group of 5

Hope it helps

Regards

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @bsolove , let me know if I'm looking at this right, but I went about it by finding all possible page numbers (missing or not) and assigning a new page number for every 5th record.  Once you have this for all possible page numbers, a join back to the original data will give you the renumbering for just the pages you need.

Image and workflow attached below

renumber_pages.PNG

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

@NickSm I think this will work, but how would it work if I need to group it by years?  See example 2 attached below.

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

@afv2688  I don't think your solution works in my example because page numbers are either missing or duplicated.

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@bsolove 

Slight modification that now groups by the years column by ticking the "Group-By" box in the multi-row formulas.

renumber_pages_years.PNG

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

@NickSm Thank you so much!

Labels