Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Row Formula to multiply one column value against fixed value.

wjohns50
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Alteryx, so maybe this is simple, but I've been beating my head against the wall for 4 hours, so I'm calling for help.

I'm trying to create a Multi-Row Formula to multiply the values in column x against the value in Row 2 of column y. Multiplying column x against a specific value in a table would also work. Below is the example with results manually entered for device 1:

Data# of Component 1Component 1 Cost# of Component 2Component 2 Cost
Device 12$2002$40
Device 25 1 
Device 33 7 
Device 44 1 
Device 55 10 
Device 69 6 
Device 72 8 
Device 81 1 

Rate TableCost
Component 1 Cost/unit$100
Component 2 Cost/unit$20

I have 16 different component columns to assemble unique cost formulas that will be applied to 20,000+ rows, but most revolve around multiplying value x against value y, so this will be a good start in troubleshooting the others. Any help would be much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wjohns50,

I tried to make it dynamic but I am not sure how to complete it from start to finish:

Emil_Kos_1-1615412072333.png

You will need to write 16 formulas... to make it work but it should be quite straightforward.

Emil_Kos_0-1615412037927.png

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @wjohns50 ,

I think you can get away with just an append here after you've calculated the cost of each item. I hope I've understood you're issue correctly, but I would simply calculate the cost per item, take that cost and it append it back to the data set for it to apply to each line. 

TomWelgemoed_0-1615412158686.png

I attach the workflow as well. The only caveat is if you had more prices and only wanted to attach that to specific rows etc...then you may want to start looking at either a join or indeed a multi-row formula.

Hope this helps,

Tom

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Looks like @Emil_Kos & I agree on the append tool!

wjohns50
5 - Atom

Got it! Let it be known on this day, you are my personal heroes! Now to start crunching on some of the if cell A contains B, enter value C from cell D problems for some of the other tables... 

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @wjohns50 ,

Good luck with that! FYI, You can look at the Transpose tool (in the Transform section) and pivot the columns into rows so that you have something like this:

RecordID

NameValue
Device 1Column A - Quantity2
Device 1Column A- Value200
Device 1Column B - Quantity1
Device 1Column B - Value50

Sometimes that allows you to be "smarter" with adding a new column in a formula tool, e.g. a new total by simply referring to the "Name" column, e.g.

If Name='Column A - Quantity'

then Value * x

elseif Name='Column B- Quantity'

then Value/x

else NULL()

endif

As an example. Depends on the use case of course, but I think either the above approach, the Multi row tool or the Multi field tool (when applying the same formula to update each field) are all tools you can consider when doing this kind of work.

Best of luck,

Tom

Labels