Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Field Formula - Invalid Type Operator

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Any reason this error message is appearing at the bottom of the multi-field formula?  If I run the workflow it runs with no errors or warnings.

Expression:

if [_CurrentField_] > [Fiscal Month End] then null() else [_CurrentField_] endif

4 REPLIES 4
mst3k
11 - Bolide

Your text input tool has a blank row in the 3rd row, and your fiscal month end in row 2 is not a complete date, just 2018-

I don't actually see an error message when I open it or run it, but those things above cause the multifield to evaluate as null

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

sorry I deleted the row and 

MatthewBr_0-1634316235344.png

MatthewBr_1-1634316256763.png

MatthewBr_2-1634316266776.png

MatthewBr_3-1634316275390.png

Very bizarre.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MatthewBr,

Nice to meet you.

I think you need to change the data type of the Fiscal month End to date

Emil_Kos_0-1634318507109.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MatthewBr 

Welcome aboard.  I think you may have found a bug!

Leaving only the first row in your input forces all fields to be dates so the config in your Multi-Field should work and it does if you run it.   If you change all the fields to strings, and select the Text Fields from the drop down, the error goes away and it runs properly as well. 

From what I know about how Designer interacts with the runtime engine when you're making changes to a workflow, Designer take the data from the first record and passes it to the runtime engine and parses the result that comes back.  This happens on every keystroke, which is why the error status is dynamic.   It looks like the engine is returning a false positive about a field type match error.   

Dan

Labels