Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi-Field Formula Expression to Update Multiple Columns Based on a Given Criteria

jstarke
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to update multiple columns without having to repeat the same formula over and over again for each column.   The help files on the multi-field formula do not show an example of how to do this.  I've put together a simplified example as follows:

IF MIN(ABS([Delta btwn George and Jane]),ABS([Delta btwn George and Jill])) = ABS([Delta btwn George and Jane]) THEN
      IF ABS(DateTimeDiff(DateTimeTrim([Min Date Jane],"firstofmonth"),DateTimeTrim([Max Date George],"firstofmonth"),"months")) <= 12 THEN
              [Relationship] = "George is dating Jane"
              [Dating Started] = [Min Date Jane]
     ELSE
             [Relationship] = "George is friends with Jane"
             [Dating Started] = Null()
      ENDIF
ELSE
      [Relationship] = "George is friends with both Jane and Jill"

[Dating Started] = Null()
ENDIF

How can I update both the [Relationship] column and the [Dating Started] column at the same time without having to repeat the same formula over and over again?  The real world problem I am working on has 12 columns to be updated based on the same IF condition. Having a bunch of formula tools for each column, each with the same IF condition will be a pain to maintain and/or reuse in other workflows.

If the above approach is not possible in Alteryx, please confirm that first if you propose a different way to do it, like cross-tabbing or something.  From what I can tell, the multi-field formula tool is only really a multi-field tool if you want to update multiple columns of the same data type to the same exact value. 

Thank you all!

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @jstarke - @patrick_digan actually built a macro that caters to this, taking features from both Multi-Row and Multi-Field Formula tools: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Multi-Row-Field-Column-Macro-example/ta-p/879896

jstarke
5 - Atom

Thanks @DataNath !  I will take a look at that.

gyang3
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @jstarke, if DataNath's post helped to solve your problem, please mark that as a solution so others can benefit. If not, let us know what's missing so we can continue the conversation!

Labels