Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Field Binning Odd Results

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Hi 

I have been testing the Multi-Field Binning Tool against an Excel table of 29,000 records. (all dummy data)

I am using the Equal Intervals option: (The minimum and maximum values of the tile field are determined. The range is split into equal sized sub-ranges and records are assigned to tiles based on these ranges.)

When I set the interval to 10 the workflow produces 15 tiles for each of the  two variables.  I expect to see 10 tiles and not 15.   For other interval values the results are similarly different from what I would expect.  You can change the value in the example I have attached to see this behaviour.

This workflow has a dependency on another macro: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros\testMacroInput.yxdb  It may be involved.

For comparison purposes I ran the TILE tool against the same data set and it ran as expected. 

My work is attached.   My question:  Is this Multi-Field Binning Tool flawed or am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

They are giving you different results because the Tile tool is configured to "Equal Records" and the Multi-Field Binning tool is configured to "Equal Intervals"

If you configure the Multi-Field Binning tool to "Equal Records", and Number of Tiles to 10, then it will return 10 records in each of the Summarize tools.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

I agree with your suggestion but my question was different.  Should I expect the "Equal Intervals" option to produce a number of bins that is different from the input variable (which in the example case was 10 and it delivered 15 bins)  ?  

Is this a feature or a bug?

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I see what you are saying, and it looks like a bug to me. If we open the Macro for Multi-Field Binning, and then expand the container for "Determine Equal Intervals", the series of tools in there has a few logic errors, and has opportunities to be optimized.

You can use the attached to replace your Multi-Field Binning tool, rename it, removing the "_v2" form the file name, and place in your macro directory. Be sure to rename/backup your old built-in macro. Mine was in the directory: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros

I did not change any of the interface/input/output tools, so to workflows that use Multi-Field Binning, it appears to be the same macro, so it should not beak anything. I kept to the normal Alteryx Macro convention and documents like the others. This macro produces the expected results, and is much faster.

multi bin.png

wakar
5 - Atom

I think the bug still exists. I do not see it binning equal intervals properly. Do you agree?

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

I am also encountering what I think is a bug.

Labels