This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
I have been testing the Multi-Field Binning Tool against an Excel table of 29,000 records. (all dummy data)
I am using the Equal Intervals option: (The minimum and maximum values of the tile field are determined. The range is split into equal sized sub-ranges and records are assigned to tiles based on these ranges.)
When I set the interval to 10 the workflow produces 15 tiles for each of the two variables. I expect to see 10 tiles and not 15. For other interval values the results are similarly different from what I would expect. You can change the value in the example I have attached to see this behaviour.
This workflow has a dependency on another macro: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros\testMacroInput.yxdb Itmay be involved.
For comparison purposes I ran the TILE tool against the same data set and it ran as expected.
My work is attached. My question: Is this Multi-Field Binning Tool flawed or am I missing something?
I agree with your suggestion but my question was different. Should I expect the "Equal Intervals" option to produce a number of bins that is different from the input variable (which in the example case was 10 and it delivered 15 bins) ?
I see what you are saying, and it looks like a bug to me. If we open the Macro for Multi-Field Binning, and then expand the container for "Determine Equal Intervals", the series of tools in there has a few logic errors, and has opportunities to be optimized.
You can use the attached to replace your Multi-Field Binning tool, rename it, removing the "_v2" form the file name, and place in your macro directory. Be sure to rename/backup your old built-in macro. Mine was in the directory: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros
I did not change any of the interface/input/output tools, so to workflows that use Multi-Field Binning, it appears to be the same macro, so it should not beak anything. I kept to the normal Alteryx Macro convention and documents like the others. This macro produces the expected results, and is much faster.