Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Mulitple lookups

steback
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx community

I am hoping you can help me with something.....

Input is a very long list of invoice line descriptions (many thousands of rows), for each line I want to see a word in the lookup list is present in any of the input rows and, if it is, create a new column and add the look up word on the same row. Please note, only one of the words from the lookup will be present in a given line in column A of the input. I've got to a result by using a very long run of filter tools using 'contains' (the actual lookup list has over 50 rows). I'm sure there must be a much more efficient way of doing this by using a macro perhaps....? Thanks in advance!

steback_1-1639650426615.png

3 REPLIES 3
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @steback,

Please take a look at the Find & Replace tool in the Join tool palette. You can right-click on the tool itself and select "Open Example" to find out more about the tool and how it's configured. I believe this is the answer to your question.

Best,

Angelos

steback
5 - Atom

Thanks Angelos - I've looked at this and I believe it only works on a single find/replace/append. I want to take each word from the lookup list and then check this against all rows on the input list?

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @steback ,

Find/Replace works great at finding a single word and appending that value, but to your point, it doesn't capture instances where more than one word is present in the string. Example: "Lots of words including Saturday and weekend" would only return either Saturday OR weekend, but not both. If you need it to reflect every instance of a found word then you can append the lookup list to your data and then filter. Example screenshots below and workflows attached!

Find/Replace Option:

kelsey_kincaid_1-1639686052814.png kelsey_kincaid_0-1639686041122.png

Append Option:

kelsey_kincaid_2-1639686112574.png

Labels