Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Moving or Deleting files from an FTP

djodts
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone know how to move files on an FTP server from one folder to another? If not, as an alternate solution, does anyone know how to delete files from a folder on an FTP server?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alteryx does not have this functionality as an out of the box configuration, but you could leverage a script before or after workflow run if you need to accomplish this as part of your process. This can be accomplished by navigating to the "Events" tab and configuring an event to run before or after a workflow. It can also be done during a workflow by using the Run Command tool. 

before run.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Technically for a "Move" operation you could also use the download tool to download as a blob and then have it push to the new folder as seen here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/SFTP-Move-FIles/td-p/426588

djodts
8 - Asteroid

@BrandonB 

Thanks.  I have used this functionality for moving files locally and over a network drive, but unsure how to write a script to do so via SFTP.  If someone has that insight, I'd be grateful.

djodts
8 - Asteroid

@BrandonB 

Yeah, I had seen that post last year and had already replied because the person who wrote it claimed that it worked, but I couldn't duplicate it with the desired affect.  I specifically need the action to mimic a CUT and Paste rather than a Copy and Paste.

I'm thinking either a copy and paste, with the option to delete once copied, or a true cut and paste if anyone has a solution for that.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you are looking for a CUT and PASTE you will need to take the script approach. If you can create a command line script to move the files you can then kick this off via Alteryx.

Labels