Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Moving files from C drive to Network drive

JennyRuns24
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Currently, I have a workflow designed to retrieve Excel files saved to a SharePoint site. When synchronizing with this folder, the location is set to my C drive. All is well until I attempt to schedule the workflow on the Gallery. My C drive is not recognized. To find a workaround, I'm attempting to design a Macro that will transfer the files from my C drive to a location where I can eventually schedule it to run daily. Workflow functions normally until I reach the Run Command tool. The error and configuration are displayed below. Can anyone help resolve the error? Thanks in advance!

JennyRuns24_0-1663306458853.png

JennyRuns24_1-1663306505222.png

6 REPLIES 6
Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @JennyRuns24  2 things to keep in mind here:

1. Does the Gallery/Server have run as credentials applied to default workflow runs - if yes does the account have access to the read and write locations?
2. Tools such as run command interact with the system and therefore require your server to be in unrestricted mode, whilst it may have safe or semi safe modes applied that restrict the use of tools and events such as run command.

JennyRuns24
8 - Asteroid

Hi Kakuffo,

Do I still need to consider all of these factors if I'm merely transferring files from the C drive to another folder?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

This macro is able to move files between folders.

Move files between origin and destination path - Alteryx Community

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@JennyRuns24 Hi Kakuffo,

Do I still need to consider all of these factors if I'm merely transferring files from the C drive to another folder?

Yes.

Anything run on Server needs to have access to the locations and have the approvals/security permissions needed to run on server. To run run-command you have to make sure that your server can execute both everything in the underlying .bat file and .bat files in general (I've seen Servers which InfoSec will not allow to run .bat files). In addition - your server must be able to access your Sharepoint location - and if you are using the Sharepoint tool on Gallery - you must make sure that it has been downloaded/installed directly on Server.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @JennyRuns24 

It worked?  

Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

@JennyRuns24  Apologies for my delay, yes the server must have access to all drives/locations as mentioned by @apathetichell 

Labels