Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Moving a a section of a Column to the left

braninfinity
5 - Atom

Hey,

I am new to designing in Alteryx and I need some help with my workflow. I have 5 Excel workbooks that I am combining into one Excel sheet and on one of the workbooks that data is shifted to the right, causing it not to line up with the others. The Column names are the same on all sheets but a section of the data does not align do to the shift .

What would be the best tool to add to the workflow since the I am not trying to shift the entire column. 

2 REPLIES 2
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @braninfinity 

I assume by "combining" you mean stacking one file on top of another > which is equivalent to the Union Tool in Alteryx.

Alteryx is pretty cool in that with the Union Tool, you can align the columns by column Name... so as long as the column names match, the data will be stacked correctly, regardless of their actual locations in the native Excel file.

UnionTool.PNG

Cheers,
Dawn.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Another 'gotcha' I've found is that sometimes a space will be in an Excel column heading that isn't visible/noticed by the user, but will not match other column names.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Labels