Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Moving Average via Multi-Row-Formula: How to Define Range for Average Function

Degas
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I'm using the Multi-Row-Formula tool to calculate a moving average of headcount for a period of 6 days:

ROUND(
AVERAGE(
[Row-5:Headcount], 
[Row-4:Headcount], 
[Row-3:Headcount], 
[Row-2:Headcount], 
[Row-1:Headcount], 
[Headcount]), 
0.01)

That works without problem. But what do I do if I want to calculate the moving average for a period of 365 days? Do I really need to add 365 rows to the average function ([Row-364:Headcount] until [Headcount])? That would be extremely tiresome.

Is there a way to define a range for the average function, instead of defining every single entry?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,

Degas

11 REPLIES 11
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @Degas,

Did you follow @AngelosPachis tip to alter the version in a text editor? Did it work out for you :-)?! If not, let me know the Designer version you're running, i can post a version that should work for you.

@AngelosPachis  thanks for helping @Degas out!

My macro is not the same as CharlieS's but i would say it's built on the same batch macro technique :-).!

Greetings,

Seb

Degas
7 - Meteor

Yes, it worked! Thanks a lot again to you both 😄

Labels