Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Move a row of data

Sburger
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to move an entire row which was placed at the end of my data after using the union tool.

In Excel, you would highlight the entire cell and drag it, but cant figure out how to do this in Alteryx.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

In Alteryx the order of records usually isn't important.

Why is the order important ?

You would need to use the sort tool or create a column that you can sort on to get the record in the right position.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's a couple of suggestions to try out:

1. Re-Order the input records in the Union tool:

- In the Configuration of the Union Tool: Check the box at the bottom to set a specific output order.

- If the row of interest came from it's own input connection to the union tool: use the up and down arrows to place it ahead of the other records for it to appear first.

2.Customize a Record ID Field:

- Following the Union tool: Used a Record ID tool to assign a record number to each record. 

- Use a Formula tool after the Record ID tool to update the new RecordID field and set specific values according to the other fields in the record. 

- Use a Sort tool to sort by your customized RecordID field.

Sburger
5 - Atom

Hi cmcclellan,

Thanks for the reply. I need it for presentation purposes only. I ended up using a find and replace to "paste" over the old data with the new one in the correct place.

Cheers!

Sburger
5 - Atom

Thanks for these suggestions. First one didnt work in my case because data was stacked before the union but the second one worked. I used a find and replace instead and it worked with the Record ID you mentioned.

Thanks!!

Labels