Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Move Data From Merged Columns and Repeat In Rows

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Here is an example of the report I can pull:

EDIT: After posting I realized the merged columns did not come through.  The "FRUIT: xxxx" cells are merged across all of the data headers in the report:

Fruit: APPLES  

random data

more random data

Account NumberCode Total
10000x100
10001y500
10002z200
10003s200
10004a250

Fruit: PEARS  
other random data  

Account NumberCodeTotal
10000 y854
 10005 n12

I want to be able to create a column all the way to the left from the "Fruit: xxxx" merged data.  It should end up looking like this:

FruitAccount NumberCode Total
Apples10000x100
Apples10001y500
Apples10002z200
Apples10003s200
Apples10004a250
Pears10000 y854
Pears 10005 n12

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CGIQV 

I started out with a Multi-Row Formula tool to identify the fruit value and then keep repeating it until another fruit value was found, After some clean up of values and unnecessary rows, I went about identifying the header rows. I did this by looking for duplicated values in the non-numeric fields. This is just one example that works in this case, so other methods might be necessary in other scenarios. Finally, I used a Dynamic Rename tool to apply those field names and used a Select tool to re-order the fields for the final result.

Check out the example solution attached to see this in action.

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Worked as advertised.

Thanks!

Abbey_Kay
5 - Atom

Hi I have a similar issue, but it is a bit more complex. I am not able to identify the "fruit" (in my case the customer number & name) like you were able to do here since it does not specifically say anything before it. How could I do this? I also want to pull item code, description and salesperson and unit of measure to another column. So it would look like the attached file.

Labels