Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Most Recent Database Data

jeffjose33
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I'm querying a database for workflow data (accounting data) that can be updated as often as monthly if the specific account/location is still active. The database stores all of the data (aka stores the same account data for May, June, July etc) and I want to be able to to take the most recent data point for each account/location, whether it was this month or 3 years ago. I currently have a sort and sample combination to get me this data, but I am wondering if there is a better way to do this?

jeffjose33_0-1633965594165.png

If I want to make this an analytic app in the future so that users can check account information, would it be better to use a workflow constant for a date and use that as a reference for the most recent data? I ask bc my workplace has a workflow from a Big 4 consultant and it utilizes workflow constants, I'm just not sure if that is the best way to move forward.

Any guidance is appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jeffjose33 ,

If you are downloading a large dataset from your accounting system, I would suggest you using in-database tools since it would use your data source performance to run everything and only download the data you actually need.

Related to your date question, the idea of using a workflow constant is if you have a lot of formulas and places using that same date, then you can change all at the same time by changing the workflow constant.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

jeffjose33
7 - Meteor

Thanks Fernando. I am having trouble recreating a formula that utilizes date, which is why I wasn't using the in-database tools. 

I'm trying to recreate this formula with the Formula In-DB tool, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. 

jeffjose33_0-1633974570848.png

It takes date info from the database that looks like this: 

jeffjose33_1-1633974672296.png

And transforms it into this format: 

jeffjose33_2-1633974708837.png

Do you know how I can do this?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jeffjose33 ,

I've seeing a few posts talking about Julian date to standard date in sql, but not sure if that would work since I don't have a lot of SQL experience.

What I would do, since you are basically filtering the most recent date, I would do the sort and the sample in-db and use the data stream out tool to mix that with your local formula tool. 

Something like this:

fmvizcaino_0-1633975362642.png

One problem you may have there is related to the sample tool in-db, since it doesn't have the option to group by, so you would need to develop that directly in the input in-db tool query or doing something like this to get only the most recent date and then use a inner join.

fmvizcaino_1-1633975569976.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels