Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Mode Calculations in Summary Tool

sbarton003
5 - Atom

Hi All - The mode calculation seems a bit wonky to me.  Can someone help me find out how the math actually works when there is a tie?  If I have a number set:

[2,2,2,5,5,5]  What is the mode 2 or 5?  What is the logic, smaller, larger, first, last?

Testing this yesterday I was getting inconsistent answers, sometimes the biggest, sometimes the smallest.  Testing it today, it seems that it picks the smallest number every time.  A little clarity would still be great.

2 REPLIES 2
AndrewBanh
9 - Comet

Hi @sbarton003 

In the documentation for the Summarize tool (https://help.alteryx.com/2018.3/Reference/SummaryProceses.htm), it says:

"Mode: Calculates the mode value for a group. The mode of a set of numbers is the smallest number that occurs most often in a group of values. If all values are unique, the smallest number will be returned."

It seems with your data set, because you have 2 values occurring the same number of times, Alteryx should grab the lower of the 2, so picking 2 would be along expectation.

Hope this helps you.

- Andrew

sbarton003
5 - Atom

It didn't work that way yesterday, but I can't recreate it.  thanks for the ref doc.

Labels