Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Missing column on XLS input

lsalmon33
6 - Meteoroid

I frequently receive files in .xls format. I've been working on a workflow with these xls files and noticed that the first column isn't being pulled in. I'm simply using an input data tool and have no idea why that column is missing.

Especially because earlier today it worked just fine pulling in every column. Unfortunately, I can't share the data, but I'll share screenshots that should give some clarity. The Alteryx input is missing Column A from my xls file and it does the same thing when I try pulling in other xls files.

I realize there are work arounds like changing the file type to .xlsx, but I'd prefer a solution that uses these files exactly as I receive them since I have a lot of them to work with. Any help is appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @lsalmon33,

This is more of a workaround than a fix, but it may work to continue using the xls format files.  Try selecting the columns as part of the Table or Query.  Look at the answer @patrick_digan provided in the post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Input-Data-Tool-not-picking-up-one-of-...

lsalmon33
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the response. I did see that thread and xls files don't allow querying, but I did try selecting the range of columns for the input tool with no success.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @lsalmon33 

I realize that you can't share the data, but can you create an anonymized copy?  Open the existing file.  Delete everything except the first few rows and columns and change the data values to dummy ones?  The key thing is that after input the first column is still missing.

Dan

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lsalmon33 really strange. The only thing I can think of is whether or not you have the file open while you run your alteryx process. Maybe try it both ways (excel file open and excel file closed) to see if that makes a difference by any chance?

harithahamad
5 - Atom

Hi! I'm also facing the same issue with .XLS file. Have tried out all the suggestions above with no success. Would be really great if someone could help on resolving this!

Labels