Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
There's still time to register for the Q3 ACE Panel - Spatial Edition presentation tomorrow! | Need more information about the event? Check out the post here

Missing Tables with the Salesforce Connector

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have created a workflow in Alteryx to create new Account Contact Relationships in Salesforce, if one didn't previously exist before the Opportunity was Closed. I am able to connect to the Salesforce table using the input connector to see which Relations are pre-existing, however I am unable to create new ones since the Alteryx output connector can not find the table I am trying to upload to, even though I was able to connect to it using the input tool. Any idea why I might not be seeing the table in the output connector?

Thank you,

Robert

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

In case it helps, here are a few thoughts...

First, it sounds like this is a custom object. And you are reading from and (trying to) write to the same object. Is that correct?

You say it's failing to locate the target table - but I still want to be sure you're not getting an error on the target field within the object. That has caught me a few times - your field name has to be exactly correct.

One way to test connections is at https://workbench.developerforce.com/login.php - you can build your query there to make sure it's correct.

Finally, the only other suggestion I've seen for not finding a table is to type it manually in the configuration window of the output connector. I've read that Alteryx will let you do that and that it works.

Good luck.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. It is not a custom object that I am trying to write to, it is a Related Contact on the Account level, we have the related contacts feature enabled. But yes, I am trying to read and write to the same object. And correct, I am not getting the error on the target field either, that has tripped me up before as well having an extra underscore in the field name. I am just unable to locate the target table even though using Workbench I was able to locate the table and also using Data Loader I was able to update and insert new records into my desired table. I saw your last suggestion in another post as well and unfortunately I couldn't get it to keep the text of the table name that I typed in to stay, when I try to run it it says that a table name is required. Is there a step I am missing there?

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

It sounds like you're talking about the relationship between the Account and Contacts objects - on an Account record, you are shown a list of related contacts.

If that's the case, you're not looking for a separate object, but a relationship between the two objects. You might even be talking about the related list of Contacts that shows up on an Account record.

If I'm right, to deal with these in Alteryx, you read in the child record and include the Parent ID field. For every child ID where there is no Parent ID, there is no relationship. You can then write to the child table with an update feeding it the child ID you found and a new Parent ID for the (pre-existing) Account you want to create a relationship for.

I'm curious what table you used in your successful input connector. It sounds like you're pointing to the Account object.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Correct, I am creating relationships between the Account and Contact objects. Here is a section of my workflow where I was able to successfully call the AccountContactRelation table (Accounts with Related Contacts) but was unable to find it in the upload connector.

We have it set up in our org so that one contact can belong to many accounts, and I do not want to overwrite the primary account that it is related to, but add another account relationship to the contact instead.

AlteryxMissingTable.png

The Left output gives me contacts that do not have a relation established with the account already and the Inner Join gives me the ones that need to have their roles updated. Ideally I will have two output connectors one for Insert and the other for Update, but I wanted to figure out where the table is before I add the other connector.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi - I haven't tried using the AccountContactRelation table. I'm hoping others will chime in to help you.

I think it would help if you included a screen shot of the configuration of your Salesforce connectors.

But, here's a guess: does the related Account ID appear on the Contact record? If so, I can imagine that the relation table captures the results of actions taken on the Contact record. Is it possible you have to read from the relation table, but then write to the Contact, which will then trigger Salesforce to make an entry in the relation table?

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

That was a good guess, but I was unable to find a related account field on the Contact and vice versa for the Account table.

Here is my workflow. This workflow captures closed won opps this FY and finds Contact Roles that existed on that Opportunity. If the Contact Role on the Opportunity is different than that of the Role on the Contact Object it will update that field. If the contact does not have a relationship with the account that the opportunity was closed on, it will (if I can figure out how to connect to the table AccountContactRelation) create a relationship or update the current relationship to have the new role. Then it will also create and update the Contact Roles on the Account that the Opp was closed on as well.
The issue is I can download the AccountContactRelation table but I can not connect to upload/update new relations.

ContactRoleWorkflow.png

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi, I'm trying to read/write to the AccountContactRelation table as well, but i'm not even able to find it in the SF input connector. What did you do to enable Alteryx to find the AccountContactRelation table in the input tool?

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I'm assuming you are an admin so this might not help, but the only thing that I can think of that you can not see the input nor output of the table is access rights.

Does your Salesforce profile have access to that specific object in your org? Or if it came in an installed package do you have access to that package?

I have admin rights and access, but can only see the input table still.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi, Sorry to have lost track of this thread. Did you resolve your issue?

I'm surprised you can't see the Account ID in the Contact object. I checked, and I also can't see the AccountContactRelation object in the tool when trying to write to Salesforce. But I do see the Contact object and it does have an AccountID field.

By the way, you may want to explore custom queries for your Salesforce connector - instead of filtering the results of the call to Salesforce, you can write a query with a where clause and the CloseDate and pull much fewer records from the start. If you want to take it further, you can write your query to join to SF objects in the first connector rather than make two separate connections to SF.

Labels