Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Missing Field Length in Option window

Jackyli
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

When I see other people's screen shot of their Input Data > Options > Field Length, I see they have "Field Length - 255" row

Yet when I look at my input data > Options, I do not see "Field Length -255"

Would you know how I can add that into my options window?I am trying to capture characters beyond 255.

I've screenshot my view!

Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yeah you won't see that for an excel file. Try importing a CSV file for example and that's one of the options available for text files 🙂 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Jackyli ,

Field Length Option is dependent on File Format.

When I select an Excel (.xlsx) file, I do not have Field Length as an option - 

When I select a CSV, I do have Field Length - 

CaptureCSV.JPG

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Field length is not an option for xls files in the Input Data tool. Do you currently have data being truncated? .xlsx should be able to handle this accordingly.

Here is an article that goes over legacy xls files and ways to handle them in Alteryx:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/XLS-file-limitations-that-produce-N...

elenareiss
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I am having a show-stopping truncation issue. I am ingesting via ODBC Database (odbc:). Do you know how I can bring this data in for its entirety? It's very urgent and if you can help me I will greatly appreciate it, thanks!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @elenareiss can you make a new post as a database truncation issue is likely different than this setting for Excel files. I would also confirm that it is in fact truncating by adding a Browse tool after the input to make sure it doesn't just appear as if it is truncating. If it is actually truncating values it is most likely a setting in the ODBC driver itself or if you aren't using one of the supported drivers. I would also recommend submitting a case on the support page here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Support/bd-p/SupportPage 

Labels