Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Minimum privilege for run as worker as different user?

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone.
I have Alteryx Designer + Scheduler version 2021.1 and I have set up a workflow schedule to connect to my DB.
When I run the workflow manually it works fine but when I schedule it shows an error where it could not detect my connection (SQL Server DB).

I have found a way to fix this by enabling the run worker as different user under Alteryx system settings. When I use my local account with admin privilege it runs fine but when I run using a local account standard account it does not work.

My questions are:
1) what are the minimum privileges for the account to run as worker as different user?
2) Can we use a service account instead of a local account?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your feedback!

2 REPLIES 2
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hisyam10 ,

The desktop scheduler runs slightly differently to the designer, and will only run when your scheduler service is running. This also means you need to set the user with correct privileges to be the service account. 

When you run it in designer it using your login name. You can add this to your service by going to the services app in Windows:

mceleavey_0-1624004657422.png

Right clicking on the Alteryx scheduler service and then on "Properties", then select the "Log On" tab:

mceleavey_1-1624004711658.png

Set this to be a service account with the correct privileges.

M.

Bulien

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hi @mceleavey ,

Thank you for your response and apologies for my delayed reply.

I have set the correct permissions for specific folders using my local standard account but unfortunately, the scheduler is still showing error finding the DB connection. Below is the link I refer to  for the folders and permissions:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/server/configure-required-run-user-permissions

Afterwards, I also have assigned the local standard account to members of administrators but still, the same error is shown.

Labels